- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
Note: in this document the name ZIGZAG means either the ZIGZAG or ZIGZAG PLUS models.
The ZIGZAG has the CE mark because it has been certified to meet the essential requirements of Regulation 2016/425, taking into account the relevant articles of the European standard EN 12841: 2006 "Personal protective equipment for fall protection and work positioning - Rope access systems ".
There is no standard in existence that precisely addresses a device like the ZIGZAG. The standard that comes closest is EN 12841, which deals with mechanical devices used on ropes in the professional domain. It differentiates three types of rope adjustment devices: type A for back-up belay devices, type B for rope clamps, type C for descenders.
The functions of the ZIGZAG correspond simultaneously to type B (rope clamps) and C (descenders), governed by the EN 12841 standard. The certifying body has therefore used the more relevant tests of this standard to validate the ZIGZAG.
Function and strength tests from the EN 12841: 2006 standard, done during the ZIGZAG certification
All tests were carried out in double mode for the ZIGZAG and ZIGZAG PLUS and in single mode for ZIGZAG and ZIGZAG PLUS used with CHICANE, in accordance with the usage recommended in the Instructions for Use, on two different ropes of the minimum and maximum approved diameters indicated on the device (EN 1891 type A rope, 11.5 mm and 13 mm diameters).
- Function tests after exposure to moisture, heat (+50° C) and cold (-30° C) (requirement: device slippage on rope less than 300 mm).
- Tests for locking on rope (type C devices) for 3 minutes under a 3 kN load (requirement: device slippage on rope less than 300 mm).
- Tests for dynamic performance (type B and C devices): 1 m fall of a 140 kg mass on 1 m of rope + 1 m dynamic lanyard (requirement: the mass is not released + measure of residual strength under 3 kN for 3 minutes).
- Testing the ability to keep the speed of descent at less than 2 m/s without damaging the rope (type C devices); test conducted with 100 kg and 140 kg.
- Measuring the heating of the metal parts while lowering a mass (type C devices) (no parts in contact with the user heated to more than 48° C – see the Instructions for Use for more information).
- Static strength tests between the attachment holes (type C devices) (12 kN strength requirement, increased to 15 kN for the ZIGZAG): between the harness/swivel attachment hole and the rope end attachment hole, between the harness/swivel attachment hole and the auxiliary attachment hole, between the rope end attachment hole and the auxiliary attachment hole.
- Static strength tests in double mode (type C devices) (12 kN strength requirement, increased to 15 kN for the ZIGZAG): 15 kN force applied for 3 minutes on the minimum and maximum approved diameters indicated on the device, traction on the harness attachment hole, rope set up in double mode, connected to the rope end attachment hole and blocked with a knot below the friction chain.
Note: the certification tests are conducted by the independent laboratory of a notified body, which issued an EU type examination certificate. During development of the device, Petzl carried out numerous additional tests internally.