Techniques to improve returning to the trunk with SRT
For better efficiency and convenience while moving along a branch with SRT, various techniques enable the self-hauling effect that is a key benefit of DdRT techniques.
- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
Note: in this document the name ZIGZAG means either the ZIGZAG or ZIGZAG PLUS models.
The principle is to temporarily create a fixed point on the taut rope between the arborist and the tree-top, which will function as a redirect to double the rope.
1. Recommended technique with the free rope
- No change in belay system configuration: the effectiveness of the rope clamp used at the redirect point does not affect user safety
- The system switches to 2:1 self-hauling
- Better ergonomics when returning to the trunk because the arborist can pull on all of the rope in front of him/her, with nothing to limit stroke length.
- The non-recoverable version can be installed at any time with bodyweight on the rope, without the need to be tethered.
- You must keep the free rope with you at all times while moving (e.g. by passing it through a CARITOOL on the harness). If the free rope gets away from the arborist, the self-hauling benefit is lost (without posing any specific hazard).
The redirect point can be fixed with BASIC + ROLLCLIP, it will thus be necessary to go back up to the redirect point to dismantle the setup when the work is done.
It is possible to make the setup recoverable with RING OPEN + ROLLCLIP or RING L + ROLLCLIP. In this case, the RING is locked only by friction; the redirect point will stay fixed on the rope as long as it is taut, and can move (and thus be recovered) once the rope is slack.
2. Possible technique with the free rope and the ZIGZAG’s rope-end attachment hole
This technique observed in the field requires special precautions.
Attention, this technique modifies the primary belay system: the rope clamp used for the redirect becomes the primary anchor for the system. Any failure of the rope clamp would cause a dangerous fall (rope clamp safety catch rubbing on a branch, poor positioning of the rope clamp or ROLLCLIP, risk of the BASIC tearing the rope under forces greater than 5 kN depending on the rope...).
- The system switches to 3:1 self-hauling
- The user must be tethered to set it up, because it is necessary to unload the rope between the ZIGZAG and the anchor, and to remove the CHICANE. So it’s not possible to set it up just anywhere.
- Ergonomics when returning to the trunk are not improved because the arborist must pull the segment of rope between him/herself and the ZIGZAG, which means a limited stroke length (unless an adjustable bridge is used to extend the ZIGZAG when returning to the trunk, as in DdRT).
The recoverable version is not recommended for this technique, due to the risk of the RING OPEN slipping on the rope (undefined locking ability, dependent on rope diameter and condition, the RING’s wear state...). The system has been slow-pull tested to 4 kN without slippage, with new RING OPEN + ROLLCLIP + FLOW. No drop testing has been done on this system.
WARNING: the CHICANE must not remain in place between the ZIGZAG chain and the rope-end attachment hole. Significant risk of the CHICANE's handle pressing on the ZIGZAG’s release lever, which could cause a fall.
3. Not recommended technique with the free rope redirected through the CHICANE
This technique observed in the field is not recommended with CHICANE.
The arborist entrusts the safety of the entire system to a single removable pin held by a single screw (the CHICANE’s upper friction pin). This pin is not a tested and certified attachment point. The slightest failure could cause a dangerous fall.
In addition, there is a risk of breakage of the CHICANE’s plastic stopper which was not designed for this use (breakage not accepted in after-sales service).