A moment of inattention, an instant of fatigue, excessive confidence: moments of absence in which one can quickly forget to make a knot in the end of the rope, lock a carabiner, finish the tie-in knot... oversights that often pass without notice until the day an accident happens... To help avoid this, one can adopt a simple habit, the PARTNER CHECK: a mutual checking between climber and belayer before starting each pitch.
- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
Before starting each pitch, the climber and the belayer must each check 4 key areas to ensure climber safety:
Belay system setup:
- rope installed in the proper direction (belay device function check)
- carabiner connected to the correct place on the harness
- carabiner is locked
- harness waistbelt above the hips
- harness adjusted to fit snugly
- tied-in to the right place on the harness
- the correct knot
- knot finished and tightened
- knot tied at the end of rope.
Remember that before using your equipment, you must have read and understood the supplied Instructions for Use.