What is PPE?
PPE is Personal Protective Equipment, equipment worn or carried by the user.
PPE is classified in three categories:
Category 1: minor hazards, light mechanical impacts, solar radiation (e.g. glasses, gloves)
Category 2 : serious hazards (e.g. ventilated helmets, crampons)
Category 3 : major or deadly hazards (e.g. harnesses, carabiners, ice axes)
PPE helps protect a person from deadly or serious health hazards. It includes all equipment designed for protection from long falls: rope clamps, descenders, harnesses, lanyards, webbing, slings, ropes, energy absorbers, carabiners, pulleys, swivels, rigging plates, ice axes, snow stakes and pitons. It excludes anchor points that are an integral part of a structure.
Other questions :
- How do I retire my gear?
- How do I buy a Petzl product?
- How do I buy a spare part or accessory?
- How do I find Petzl retailers around the world?
- What is Petzl's guarantee policy?
- Before sending a defective product to Petzl, is there a specific procedure with a file number and a return date?
- What is the lifetime of my Petzl equipment?
- How do I contact Petzl?
- What is the inspection process of PPE?
- How do I care appropriately for my Petzl equipment?
- How can I find out the age of my Petzl PPE?
- When should I retire my equipment?
- How should I store my equipment?
- What does WLL mean?
- What are Petzl helmets made of?
- How should I clean the inside of my Petzl helmet?
- How can I label or identify a sling?