Details on using the ASAP when it is attached to the harness without an energy absorber (EN 353-2 usage).
- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
1. With ASAP LOCK
The ASAP LOCK is designed to be used only with a compatible energy absorber.
See details on compatibility in your ASAP LOCK's Instructions for Use.
2. With ASAP B71 AAA
In the EN 353-2 dynamic performance test without energy absorber, values close to 6 kN were obtained with the ASAP B71 AAA. Consequently, Petzl chose to not certify the ASAP B71 AAA without an energy absorber under this standard.
In this dynamic test, the following factors limit energy absorption and thus increase impact forces:
- Very short rope (test carried out 30 cm from the anchor).
- Rope with sewn termination (a knot will absorb some of the fall energy as it tightens).
- Instantaneous stopping of the ASAP
The testing protocols for the EN 353-2 standard, done in a laboratory, simulate situations that are more severe than those encountered by a worker in a real situation. Petzl's assessment is that there is no real risk for the user.
When precautions are taken to limit the risk of a fall when close to the anchor, Petzl authorizes the use of the ASAP without an energy absorber on Petzl PARALLEL 10.5 mm and AXIS 11 mm ropes.
3. With ASAP B71 up to serial number 13316LJ0087
Follow the Instructions for Use for your ASAP B71 (models up to serial number 13316LJ0087).