Carabiner compatibility test
Any time equipment is to be used with a new carabiner, a compatibility test is recommended.
- Carefully read the Instructions for Use used in this technical advice before consulting the advice itself. You must have already read and understood the information in the Instructions for Use to be able to understand this supplementary information.
- Mastering these techniques requires specific training. Work with a professional to confirm your ability to perform these techniques safely and independently before attempting them unsupervised.
- We provide examples of techniques related to your activity. There may be others that we do not describe here.
Petzl does tests for Petzl products and carabiners; specific details on compatibility are mentioned in the Instructions for Use for the devices.
• Verify that the chosen carabiner is suitable for the intended use
• Verify that the carabiner's cross-section is suitable
• Check that the carabiner does not jam in the device's attachment hole
• Assess the possibility of the carabiner getting into a bad position and the stability of this bad position
• Check the risk of interference between the elements of the system and the carabiner sleeve
For devices fitted with a flexible carabiner positioning piece (ZIGZAG, PIRANA...) repeat the compatibility test whenever you install a new carabiner. The flexible piece may have been deformed by the last carabiner, and may not correctly position the new one.