Slinging an anchor with ABSORBICA I and Y lanyards
Certain anchors cannot be clipped with a connector, but may be slung with the lanyard.
- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
The ANSI Z359-13 standard has a test with a slung anchor.
ANSI Z359-13 test protocol:
Slung metal beam of about 25 cm x 25 cm
Slow pull on the lanyard for one minute.
Test passed if the strength is greater than 22 kN.
ABSORBICA TIE-BACK lanyard: breaks at 27 kN
ABSORBICA I and Y rope lanyards: break at 12 kN
ABSORBICA Y elasticized webbing lanyards: break at 19 kN
Only the ABSORBICA TIE-BACK lanyard passes the ANSI Z359-13 wrap-around test.
The values recorded for rope lanyards are greater than the maximum impact force in a fall on the ABSORBICA I or Y.
Thus it is possible to use these lanyards to tie-back around an anchor, provided that the lanyard has been verified to be in good condition and the surface quality of the anchor has been checked.
- The rope or webbing of your ABSORBICA I or Y lanyard is not protected. Beware of friction against the structure that could damage the lanyard.
- Beware of metal structures that can heat up in the sun; observe the operating temperatures indicated in your lanyard's Instructions for Use.
- Beware of the positioning of your connector when wrapping around an anchor. The possibilities of poor positioning are numerous (cantilever loading, loading over an edge, pressure on the gate...).
Installation tip to enable wrapping around a large diameter anchor
It is possible to add an attachment point to your ABSORBICA, to enable wrapping around a large structure, and to limit cantilever loading situations for the lanyard end connectors:
Install a RING OPEN in the yellow loop on the energy absorber
WARNING: do not install the RING OPEN at any other location on your energy absorber.
Follow the installation directions in the Instructions for Use for your RING OPEN.
Beware of friction against the structure that could damage the lanyard.