Choice of carabiners for attaching a VERSO or REVERSO to the harness
- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
Key issues and risks
The VERSO or REVERSO must be detached and re-attached each time the rope is installed, on every pitch of the climb. The large number of manipulations during the day increases the risk of error.
Each time slack is given, the rope becomes slack, so the device and its carabiner can move about and become poorly positioned, and can remain so when the system again comes under tension.
The rope running through the carabiner can rub against the locking sleeve.
The belay/rappel system's carabiner is frequently used alone, with no possibility for redundancy. If the carabiner opens or breaks, the user will certainly fall.
The most important risks to consider
Recommendation on carabiner and accessories
Why this choice?
• The Am’D's shape offers a good support zone for the frame of the VERSO or REVERSO
• The SCREW-LOCK system allows the carabiner to remain unlocked until both ropes are installed. Warning: ropes moving through the carabiner can rub against the sleeve and unlock it: watch for the appearance of the red visual indicator.
• The BALL-LOCK system is less sensitive to the rope rubbing against the sleeve
Precautions for use
• Do a partner check at each connection
• Regularly monitor your belay device and the positioning of the carabiner during use, especially when it is reloaded after having been unloaded
• Verify that the SCREW-LOCK sleeve is properly locked at each connection (red indicator not visible)
- The ATTACHE can be used for this application. Warning: if the carabiner rotates when using larger diameter half ropes, the ropes can become damaged by the inside edges of the gate
- The TWIST-LOCK system is not recommended for this application, as the sleeve can be unlocked and the gate opened by a single motion of the rope
- Carabiner basics
- Choice of carabiner for attaching a GRIGRI to the harness
- Choice of carabiners for attaching a VERSO or REVERSO to the harness
- Choice of lanyard end carabiner for a rock climbing or via ferrata lanyard
- Choice of carabiners for attaching the rope to the anchor
- Examples of dangerous carabiner loading.
- Attaching a rope to the harness