What's in Arborist Ryan Torcicollo's Pack?
Ryan Torcicollo is a Utah-based arborist who has been in the industry for more than a decade. Torcicollo is branch manager of the Park City SavATree and as one of the most skilled and dedicated arborists around, he took some time to tell us what he brings to a jobsite.
February 13 2020
Since he started competing, about 6 years ago, Ryan has won the 2015, 2016 and 2017 Utah ISA Chapter Tree Climbing Competition and secured second place in the 2016 and 2017 International Tree Climbing Competition’s Belayed Speed Climb Event. In 2017 he was JAMBO Team Champion and last year finished in second. Torcicollo is branch manager of the Park City SavATree and as one of the most skilled and dedicated arborists around, he took some time to tell us what he brings to a jobsite.
What do you put in your pack when you head to a job site?
- An Am’D, or any ball-lock carabiner, to keep on my saw lanyard.
- An OK - fluctuate between using AM’Ds and OKs.
- I use a ZILLON with an SM’D and MICRO SWIVEL to keep it close.
- A cable core MICROFLIP flipline for doing spar work on sappy removals.
- A Silky Zubat 330 saw, which I’ve had for a while and I just change the blades every 6 months to a year.
- KNEE ASCENT CLIP held in the XS TOOLBAG. I use this setup to ascend and advance my CHICANE.
- An ASCENTREE for longer ascents
- A pair or Gecko spikes
- A VERTEX VENT HI-VIZ with a VIZIR SHADOW and ear protection
- ECLIPSE - with AIRLINE throw-lines and 350g JET throw-bags
- A BUG backpack where I put all my stuff!
- FIXE and a RING on the end of the rope that I use for canopy ties
- ZIGZAG with a FLOW rope in a moving rope system that I use for crane removal
- ZIGZAG with CHICANE on a FLOW rope for stationary rope climbing for pruning
- PANTIN foot ascender
- ASCENSION for ascending
- A SEQUOIA harness with steel and aluminum SPIRIT carabiners as accessory biners. I like the overall comfort and feel -- it feels like there’s nothing there. I’ve used every other saddle in the market and this one has the most comfort and movement and has always been my go-to.
- PORTAGE 30L to carry all the ropes
- Homemade adjustable friction savers with a RING L and S.
Learn more about Ryan in the Labor of Love video.