Carabiner compatibility test
Any time equipment is to be used with a new carabiner, a compatibility test is recommended.
- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
Petzl does tests for Petzl products and carabiners; specific details on compatibility are mentioned in the Instructions for Use for the devices.
• Verify that the chosen carabiner is suitable for the intended use
• Verify that the carabiner's cross-section is suitable
• Check that the carabiner does not jam in the device's attachment hole
• Assess the possibility of the carabiner getting into a bad position and the stability of this bad position
• Check the risk of interference between the elements of the system and the carabiner sleeve
For devices fitted with a flexible carabiner positioning piece (ZIGZAG, PIRANA...) repeat the compatibility test whenever you install a new carabiner. The flexible piece may have been deformed by the last carabiner, and may not correctly position the new one.