Impact force - standards
- Carefully read the Instructions for Use used in this technical advice before consulting the advice itself. You must have already read and understood the information in the Instructions for Use to be able to understand this supplementary information.
- Mastering these techniques requires specific training. Work with a professional to confirm your ability to perform these techniques safely and independently before attempting them unsupervised.
- We provide examples of techniques related to your activity. There may be others that we do not describe here.
The dynamic test in the EN 892 standard consists of dropping a metal mass guided by two vertical rails. All dynamic ropes are subjected to this test.
The mass is 80 kg, except for half ropes where it is 55 kg. This 80 kg mass represents the weight of an average user with their equipment.
The fall simulates a factor 1.77 fall on a fixed point.
The force transmitted to the mass, when the fall is arrested, is limited to:
- 12 kN for single ropes (one strand of rope)
- 8 kN for half ropes (one strand of rope)
- 12 kN for twin ropes (two strands of rope)