Video - The Worst Belayer in the World
- Carefully read the Instructions for Use used in this technical advice before consulting the advice itself. You must have already read and understood the information in the Instructions for Use to be able to understand this supplementary information.
- Mastering these techniques requires specific training. Work with a professional to confirm your ability to perform these techniques safely and independently before attempting them unsupervised.
- We provide examples of techniques related to your activity. There may be others that we do not describe here.
In climbing and mountaineering, proper use of belay devices is the cornerstone of the belay chain. The belayer holds the life of his partner in his hands. This task requires as much attention as it does training. The climber's confidence in his belayer has a major effect on his performance. It is important to remember that a good climber should also be a good belayer.
The Worst Belayer in the World
Any climber may encounter such behavior. Though it may not always be as exaggerated.
And even though we can laugh at him, we can also ask ourselves:
- Am I not maybe just as bad sometimes?
- If it were me at the other end of the rope, would I be laughing as loud?