Rescuing a person hanging on an ABSORBICA lanyard
How to unhook a person after a fall?
- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
When someone has fallen on an ABSORBICA lanyard, even if she is unhurt, she is hanging with little means of self-rescue, especially if the structure cannot be used for support.
To rescue her, her co-worker must set up a load transfer and evacuation system, for example based on the JAG SYSTEM. Once this system is attached to an appropriate anchor, the difficulty is in accessing the victim.
If direct connection to the victim's harness is possible
The ideal situation is to be able to attach the evacuation system directly to the victim's harness. The manual operations are easier, installation is cleaner, with less equipment. Direct connection to the harness also allows the victim to be raised more effectively if an obstacle must be passed during evacuation.
If accessing the victim's harness is difficult
Several attachment points may be reachable from the structure:
- The eye of the MGO on the victim's lanyard
- An intermediate tie-back loop on the ABSORBICA TIE-BACK lanyard.
- A rope clamp suitable for a rope lanyard or for a webbing lanyard.