Choice of carabiners for attaching the PIRANA to the harness
- Carefully read the Instructions for Use used in this technical advice before consulting the advice itself. You must have already read and understood the information in the Instructions for Use to be able to understand this supplementary information.
- Mastering these techniques requires specific training. Work with a professional to confirm your ability to perform these techniques safely and independently before attempting them unsupervised.
- We provide examples of techniques related to your activity. There may be others that we do not describe here.
Key issues and risks
In the canyon environment, there is a specific safety issue: the need to quickly and easily disconnect a person stuck under water, to prevent drowning.
When the rope is taut, the carabiner and the device are held in position by the tension.
But when the rope is slack, the device and its carabiner can move about and become poorly positioned. So there is a risk of rubbing on the sleeve, or of cantilever loading between the device and the harness attachment point.
The PIRANA is fitted with a carabiner positioning piece that helps reduce poor positioning.
The most important risks to consider
Recommendation on carabiner and accessories
Why this choice?
• The VERTIGO WL offers the highest speed of operation
• The Am’D TWIST-LOCK offers a good balance between security and ergonomics
Precautions for use
• With an auto-locking system, check that the sleeve is completely locked at each connection
• Avoid any pressure or rubbing that could unlock the locking sleeve and cause the gate to open
• Always keep the same carabiner on your PIRANA so that the positioning piece stays adjusted