High-energy falls with ABSORBICA-I and Y lanyard
The energy absorption capacity of the ABSORBICA-I and Y can be exceeded if a heavy user falls a significant distance.
- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
The energy absorber on the ABSORBICA-I and Y lanyards is suitable for the maximum falls in certification tests:
- 100 kg falling 4 m (EN 355)
- 128 kg falling 3.66 m (ANSI Z359-13 12ft)
Any fall of greater energy exposes the user to a significant impact force.
A fall test of 4 m was carried out with a 140 kg dummy: the energy absorber was completely torn, with a measured impact force of 10.4 kN.
For a 100 to 140 kg user with a lanyard longer than 1.80 m, the fall distance must be monitored or limited.
- By monitoring the user's position relative to the anchor to optimize the potential fall distance
- Or by using a short lanyard to physically limit the potential fall distance
With a 120 kg mass, the energy absorption capacity of the ABSORBICA-I and Y lanyards is exceeded in a fall of 3.8 m or more.
With a 140 kg mass, the energy absorption capacity of the ABSORBICA-I and Y lanyards is exceeded in a fall of 3.2 m or more.
Only an ABSORBICA-I or Y 150 fitted with an MGO 110 actually measures close to 2 m in length, allowing a 4 m fall distance.
The ABSORBICA-I or Y 150 lanyards, fitted with an MGO 60 or an MGO OPEN and a standard connector on the harness end, measure less than 1.8 m. The maximum possible fall distance with these lanyards (unextended) is 3.6 m: they may be used with a mass up to 130 kg.
Even if the energy absorption capacity allows a 3.6 or 4 m fall to be arrested with an "acceptable" impact force of less than 6 kN, such a fall is not harmless.
At all times, it is recommended to reduce the fall distance as much as possible.