Choice of lanyard end carabiner for a work positioning lanyard
- Read the technical notice before viewing the following techniques.
- It is important to fully understand the information provided in the technical notice before using this complementary information
- Mastering these techniques requires training.
- Consult a professional before attempting to perform these techniques on your own.
Key issues and risks
The anchors encountered can have variable dimensions,the carabiner shape must be suitable.
Carabiner operation must be rapid, to facilitate attachment to anchors.
At the moment of attachment, the user has the carabiner in hand, and so is able to check that the carabiner is correctly positioned.
During work, monitoring carabiners in use can be difficult.
The most important risks to consider
Recommendation on carabiner and accessories
Use a VERTIGO TWIST-LOCK with a positioning system (STRING, TANGA, plastic sleeve).
Why this choice?
• The VERTIGO's shape provides a wide opening
• The TWIST-LOCK system provides a good balance between speed of operation and security
• Ergonomics may be prioritized for the lanyard end carabiner, as the user must use a backup belay system in addition to the work positioning lanyard
• The carabiner positioning system helps correctly position the carabiner, but also facilitates clipping as it rigidifies the lanyard/carabiner assembly
Precautions for use
• When clipping, check that the carabiner is correctly positioned in the anchor, and that the sleeve is completely locked
• Plan your movements during use to anticipate the movement of the carabiners and the risks of poor positioning
• Make sure to have another lanyard clipped in, or another belay system, before moving your lanyard from one anchor to another
- TRIACT-LOCK or BALL-LOCK can be used for this application, giving reduced ergonomics, but better locking security
- SCREW-LOCK can be used for this application, beware of the risk of forgetting to lock the sleeve at each operation. The unscrewing direction is always down, so the sleeve can become unscrewed in case of prolonged use on the same anchorage