Certification of anchors
The EN 795 standard on anchors has changed; certain anchor types can no longer claim EN 795 compliance. Explanation.
- Carefully read the Instructions for Use used in this technical advice before consulting the advice itself. You must have already read and understood the information in the Instructions for Use to be able to understand this supplementary information.
- Mastering these techniques requires specific training. Work with a professional to confirm your ability to perform these techniques safely and independently before attempting them unsupervised.
- We provide examples of techniques related to your activity. There may be others that we do not describe here.
Standards applicable to anchors
EN 959 : rock anchors.
EN 566 : slings.
EN 569 : pitons.
EN 795 : anchors for fall arrest systems.
- Type A: anchor that requires a structural anchor (ex: COEUR).
- Type B: anchor that does not require a structural anchor (ex: ANNEAU, TREESBEE, GRILLON...).
- Type C: flexible horizontal lifeline (ex: GRILLON).
- Type D: rigid horizontal lifeline.
- Type E: weighted anchors.
The EN 795 standard changed at the end of 2015 (based on a text edited in 2012).
The new version no longer covers permanent structural anchors, such as expansion bolts or resin anchors.
Anchors of this type that were certified before 2012, to the old version of the standard (1996), may still be sold with the EN 795 marking. But all anchors certified after 2012 must conform to the new version of the standard.
Reminder: here is the classification of the old version of EN 795 (1996):
Class A: structural anchors - Class B: temporary anchoring devices - Class C: flexible horizontal lifelines - Class D: rigid horizontal rails - Class E: deadweight anchors.
Only the EN 566 and EN 795 standards (types B and E only) give the right to put a CE marking on the anchor.
Certification changes on Petzl anchors
|Sold before January 2016||Sold after January 2016|
|COEUR GOUJON||EN 795 A1
|COEUR BOLT STEEL
COEUR BOLT STAINLESS
COEUR BOLT HCR
(except COEUR BOLT STEEL 10 mm)
|COEUR||EN 795 A1
|EN 795 A
(except COEUR STEEL 10 mm)
|GOUJON||Not PPE||BOLT STEEL
|EN 795 A1