This information is complementary to and supersedes the Safety Alert issued April 19, 2013 [PDF-153 Kb].
Summary of the facts
On Friday, April 12, Petzl was informed of an accidental fall in a training center in Germany. This fall was related to a failure of the rope end attachment hole of the Petzl ZIGZAG mechanical Prusik.
We have since been informed of another identical failure.
These failures were the result of a particular configuration of a cantilevered and off-axis loaded upper carabiner (see photo).
Petzl believes that this incorrect positioning of the connector could inadvertently occur during normal use with the potential for serious injury or death.
Continued use of the ZIGZAG poses a risk of serious injury or death.
Petzl has decided to immediately recall all ZIGZAGs
For users in the United States and Canada*, please do the following:
- Immediately stop using the ZIGZAG
- Fill out the ZIGZAG End User Return Authorization Form - or - email firstname.lastname@example.org (emails to this address will receive an automated response with a link to the End User Return Authorization Form, the first step in the returns process)
- If you wish to speak with a representative, contact Petzl America After Sales and Service: (877) 807-3805
- Return the ZIGZAG, with proof of purchase, to Petzl America.
You can then choose from the following options:
- credit for other Petzl products (total equal to the retail price of the ZIGZAG + 30%)
- a complete refund at the purchase price (including taxes and shipping)
A new version of the ZIGZAG is currently being developed and will be available in January 2014.
We are fully aware of the inconvenience caused by this issue. Please accept our full apologies. Thank you for your continued trust.