Due to advances in the performance characteristics of AA/LR6 rechargeable batteries (especially their higher output during discharge), they can in certain cases of intensive use, cause quality and safety problems with MYO-series headlamps. When the headlamp is used with AA/LR6 rechargeable batteries, if a short-circuit appears in the cable connecting the battery case to the lamp, the cable can spark, melt, or catch fire. This poses a burn hazard to the user.
The number of reported incidents is very low, representing 0.004% of total MYO headlamps sold. Nevertheless, this rate of incidence does not meet our standards of reliability and safety.
As a result, Petzl has decided to alert endusers and to take the necessary corrective actions.
- This information applies to all Petzl MYOseries headlamps manufactured before the end of June 2008. For these headlamps, only alkaline batteries should be used. Rechargeable AA/LR6 batteries must not be used. (photos, MYOLITE, MYO)
- Since July 2008, modifications are underway for our currently available MYO headlamps to make them compatible with AA/LR6 rechargeable batteries.
Frequently asked questions
- 1 - I recently purchased a MYO-series headlamp. How can I find out if it is compatible with AA/LR6 rechargeable batteries ?
- If the battery case has RECHARGEABLE BATTERY COMPATIBLE engraved on the inside, you can use it with AA/LR6 rechargeable batteries without any problem.
- If the MYO-series lamp's battery case has no inscription engraved inside then use only alkaline batteries with it and do not use AA/LR6 rechargeable batteries.
- 2 - I have already used my incompatible headlamp with rechargeable batteries and it worked fine. Can I continue to use it with those batteries?
- No. Based on the returns we have seen, you should only use rechargeable batteries on headlamps that are marked: rechargeable battery compatible
- 3 - Can I use 1600 mAh low amp rechargeable batteries with my noncompatible headlamp?
- No. This safety alert applies to all types of rechargeable batteries. It is the way the battery delivers the current, and not the battery's capacity (1600 mAh) that can cause a problem.
- 4 - How should I choose a headlamp in the store ?
- MYO-series headlamps that are compatible with AA/LR6 rechargeable batteries will soon be marked with a sticker on the packaging: AA/LR6 RECHARGEABLE BATTERY COMPATIBLE.
- 5 - Can AA/LR6 rechargeable batteries be used with other Petzl headlamps?
- Yes. See the battery compatibility chart for more information.
- 6 - What should I do if my headlamp is not working?
- En France, contactez votre Service Après Vente à l'adresse suivante :
ZI de Crolles - Cidex 105 A
132 Rue du Pré Blanc
38920 CROLLES - FRANCE
Or by email : aftersales[a]petzl.fr
For other countries, contact the After-Sales-Service of the Petzl distributor in your country.