Friday, July 3 2009 - Gasherbrum base camp:
It is running quite good here. From Tuesday until Wednesday I was
already for the second time at camp 2 at 6500 meters. Overnight. The
weather was pretty bad. Nicole, my wife, descended from camp 1 back to
Base Camp with two Pakistani.
We left some material at camp 1 and also at camp 2. If everything runs smoothly, we try again on Sunday to reach camp 1 and them move on together up to camp 2. Nicole will stay at camp 2 and I will continue alone. If the weather is fine, if there is not too much snow and if I feel well, I would like to go for the summit. This, before all the fix ropes are placed. This would be great and also nicer for me. I have installed camp 2 before all fix ropes were installed. This was absolutely great. A very nice climb.
Tuesday, July 7 2009 Gasherbrum camp 2:
Because of the unsteady weather, we stayed at BC also on Sunday. Yesterday we reached camp 1. There is a lot of snow.
Now we are at camp 2 at 6500 meter: there is still a lot of snow. And a lot of humidity in the air. The decision, when and if I can try for the summit, is not easy. I will decide day by day.
Ueli Steck reaching Camp2
Summit success for Ueli Steck at Gasherbrum II (8035m)
Yesterday, July 9, 2009, almost exactly three years after his summit success on Gasherbrum II east summit (7772m) over the Magic Line (first ascent together with Cédric Hählen and Hans Mitterer), Ueli Steck reaches the summit of Gasherbrum II with 8035m.
Together with his wife Nicole, who waited for him at camp 2, he was back today at Base Camp.
More details about the summmit success of Ueli Steck will follow in the next days...
Kind regards and I wish you all a beautiful weekend!