The adventure that is the UTMB (The North Face® Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc®) is just around the corner. The world-renowned trail race will take place from August 27 to September 2, 2012, in the Mont-Blanc range. As with each and every year, for this year’s 10th edition, trail running enthusiasts will share magical moments together in an unbelievable landscape.
Participants will compete in one of four scheduled events:
- The "main event" and original race: UTMB® [Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc®]
Circumnavigate the entire Mont-Blanc range, starting in Chamonix, covering a distance of 168km, with 9600 meters elevation gain; runners will be partially self-reliant.
- 2300 runners maximum
- Time limit: 46 hours
- Approximate finish time of winner is 20 hours
The gateway race: CCC® [Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix]
Circumnavigate half the Mont-Blanc range, starting in Courmayeur, covering a distance of 100km, with 5950 meters elevation gain; runners will be partially self-reliant.
- 1800 runners maximum
- Time limit: 26 hours
- Approximate finish time of winner is 12 hours
- The wild alternative: TDSTM (Sur les Traces des Ducs de Savoie)
Circumnavigate half the Mont-Blanc range, starting in Courmayeur, covering a distance of 112km, with 7150 meters elevation gain; runners will be partially self-reliant. The 2012 course will allow runners to discover Col de la Youlaz (2661m) high above Courmayeur, the "Reverend’s Passage" as well as sublime views of the Mont-Blanc range from Col de la Gitte in the heart of the Beaufortain mountains.
- 1200 runners maximum
- Time limit: 31 hours
- Approximate finish time of winner is 14 hours
- A incredible team adventure: PTLTM [Petite Trotte à Léon]
A race with no rankings, teams of 2 or 3 runners remain together throughout the entire race and are completely self-reliant. The course changes every year, and although there are no trail markers the course is mapped out (GPS coordinates provided)
- Approximately 290 km and 22,000 meters of elevation gain
- Time limit: 138 hours
Petzl by your side, in the heart of the action
Event partner since 2003, Petzl assists runners:
- For the TDS, CCC, and UTMB races
Petzl staff will be located at the Chapieux, Champex, and Contamines Montjoie aid stations, and will provide assistance for all lamp or battery issues.
- At certain checkpoints:
Out of respect for wilderness areas, it is impossible for race organizers to provide electricity to certain checkpoints at altitude. These specific areas will be lit up with the help of numerous ULTRA headlamps.
- At the Ultra-trail fair: win a NAO headlamp
Test the NAO and its REACTIVE LIGHTING technology, and earn the chance to win a headlamp! Come to the Petzl booth to participate and to try your luck. Every day, one person among the testers will be chosen randomly through a drawing to win a NAO headlamp.
- Via Internet, delivering the latest news during the race on petzl.com, on the NAO blog, on Facebook and on Twitter.
- With advice on how to prepare:
For running at night, with tips from Kilian Jornet, Seb Chaigneau, Fernanda Maciel and Jared Campbell
For more information
- The official UTMB website
- Learn about the NAO headlamp and REACTIVE LIGHTING technology
- Reports from past editions of the race
2011: 4 seasons in a single race,
2010: an epic edition,
2009: Ultratrail - Highlights